Throughout 2014, the world will witness the rollout of the Caterpillar M Series 966 and 972. This series of medium-sized wheel loaders will be Caterpillar’s fifth generation in their tiered regulation environment. With 25% fuel efficiency gains and exciting upgrades to provide increased operator efficiency, the new M Series brings some exciting advancements to the table.
Benefits, improvements, and upgrades in the new M Series include:
- significant engine and transmission advancements, resulting in greater horsepower
- standard lock-up clutch torque converter matched with engine power and hydraulics, resulting in 10% better fuel efficiency
- a bucket capacity range of 3.75 to 13 cubic yards
- simplified two-pedal design
- beveled gear shrouds to decrease churning losses from rotating compounds
- front axle differential locks
- larger displacement hydraulic implement pumps
- lighter mono-block hydraulic valve with 40% fewer leak points
- fully automatic front and rear axle diff locks (optional)
- larger mirrors and lower glass panel for increased visibility
- color touch screen display
The technological advancements, including the touch screen display and the new Caterpillar Production Measurement app option, have been earning special attention in consumer reviews:
The new Cat Connect Solutions enables operators and managers to access machine operating data including total fuel consumption, average fuel rate, total idle time and fuel consumed at idle, total operating hours and several other machine data. The new Caterpillar Production Measurement app option is integrated in the new touch screen display and now provides payload information. (Cat.com)
Although we may feel nostalgic to see the K Series go, with such exciting new advancements on display, we are prepared to wave it a fond farewell and turn to greet the new M Series.
Remember to contact us for all of your Caterpillar equipment’s OTR tire needs.